Skip to content
Pen laying on forms

Admissions and Records

Residency Requirements

Proof of in-district residency is required for students to receive the in-district tuition rate. Residency documentation must be received by the first day of the semester to receive in-district tuition rates. In addition, the student must have occupied a dwelling within the district for at least 30 days before the first day of class to be classified as a resident. Students who fail to meet the 30-day residency requirement may not become residents simply by attending classes at John A. Logan for 30 days or more.

Students who are currently under the legal guardianship of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services or have been recently emancipated from the Department and had a placement change into a new community college district, shall be exempt from the 30-day requirement if they demonstrate proof of current in-district residency.

To determine if you may meet requirements for in-district tuition, please see our District Map.

Acceptable Forms of Residency Documentation:

  • Illinois driver’s license or state identification card
  • Voter’s registration card
  • Proof of mortgage or current rental/lease agreement
  • Real estate tax statement for property in District #530
  • A bank or credit card statement*
  • Utility bill (electric, gas, water, telephone, cable)*
  • Insurance card or billing statement (auto, home, etc.)
  • Paystub*
  • Shelter residency documentation
  • Installment loan documentation (car/boat/motorcycle, etc.)*
  • Medical claim or statement of benefits* (from private insurance company or public government agency)
  • A final transcript from an in-district high school with a graduation date within the past three years

*Residency documentation must be dated within the last 90 days of submission

How Do I Submit My Residency Documentation?

Choose one of the following methods:

Special Considerations for In-District Residency

  • Out-of-District students who are employed at least 35 hours per week by an employer or organization within District #530 may qualify for in-district tuition rates. Students must provide the required employment verification letter each semester to Admissions and Records or attach to the Application for Change of Residency form
  • Out-of-District students who attend JALC under the terms of a Career/Joint Agreement between John A. Logan College and another community college district will be charged in-district tuition. Students must provide written agreement from the home community college district and submit to Pixie Vaughn at or mail to 700 Logan College Dr. Carterville, IL 62918
  • Students who are or were a Veteran in the military, naval, or air service will receive in-district tuition regardless of residing outside of the district. Veterans’ status will be confirmed with the Coordinator or Veteran’s Services & Financial Aid prior to awarding in-district tuition.   

Contact Admissions and Records:
In-Person: C201
Phone: 618-985-2828 Ext. 8298