The Office of Institutional Research has been in existence since 1993 with the hiring of a part-time coordinator. In January 1995 the coordinator’s position was converted to full-time and the office became fully operational. Over the years the office has evolved in scope and magnitude. Today, Institutional Research consists of a director, coordinator, administrative assistant, and a student worker.
The primary purpose of the Office of Institutional Research is to advance the College’s Mission by supporting policy formulation, planning, and decision-making by producing reliable and effective data and information in as efficient and timely a manner as possible.
The office collects, analyzes, disseminates, and presents data and information about all aspects of the College in order to fulfill both state and federal reporting requirements, as well as to satisfy internal and other external College collection and reporting needs.
The duties and functions of the office staff include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Collecting institutional research data for the purpose of producing reports to fulfill both state and federal requirements
- Collecting institutional research data and regional demographic data in order to perform internal studies and produce reports as requested by the College administration, faculty, staff, students, and the community at large
- Maintaining strong communication skills in order to act as a liaison with both state and federal agencies and work effectively with a diverse College faculty and staff composed of people with varying levels of education
- In conjunction with the various units across the College, responsible for developing, disseminating, collecting, and reporting results of all internal surveys
- Providing support in the application and/or reporting requirements for College grants
- Overseeing internal studies regarding students as requested by internal/external entities
- Completing and returning annual external surveys as sent to the College by various entities
- Determining Jenzabar system reporting capabilities, as well as developing methods and programs for obtaining data elements from the system
- Assisting in performing external studies requested by external entities as approved by the College president
In addition to the above, the director also serves as the Data Update Coordinator to the Higher Learning Commission.