MASKS REQUIRED ON CAMPUS
January 12, 2021
Welcome to the spring 2021 semester! We are so excited to begin a new semester with lots of hope and light at the end of the tunnel in an unprecedented year. Students must continually monitor JALCText, VolMail, the student portal, and the college website for the most up-to-date information to stay informed. The College will adhere to the guidelines and safety precautions set forth by ICCB, CDC, IDPH, and WHO.
Faculty and staff want you to be successful and safe in your time here at the College. We have implemented some new processes I wanted to share with you.
All students, staff, and visitors will be required to go through a daily wellness screening process to enter campus buildings. Check the screening locations and map located on the COVID webpage https://www.jalc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/campus_map_health_screening_locations.pdf. Notice some screening locations will remain unstaffed, so please pass through a staffed screening location if you need assistance.
At the staffed screening locations, here is what you can expect:
- A waiting line for screening is possible during high traffic times.
- Self-Screening typically takes about 2 – 3 seconds. Please follow the social distance stickers and traffic flow arrows. You will want to allow some extra time for screening to get to your classes on time.
- Screeners will be wearing an orange vest and radios. The staffed station hours are (Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
- Campus Police will maintain a presence at the staffed locations.
- We will have PPE at the screening locations if needed.
- Please look for the posted signs for additional instructions or directions.
- We will have hand thermometers available for re-checks.
- Failed screening logs will be at each location with referral sheets.
- Everyone’s patience will make this a smoother process that works.
- No stickers will be issued.
- Note: the front door (Bell Tower entry) will remain closed, but entry into B – wing can be obtained by using the access doors between the main building and the administrative building. Use the sidewalk to the right of the Bell Tower. Signs will be posted.
Reporting COVID related absences
- Students should notify Kathleen Doty (618-318-2797; email@example.com) or Human Resources (618-985-3741, Ext. 8273) if they cannot attend class due to COVID symptoms, positive diagnosis, or are under quarantine.
- Students should notify their instructors and or advisor.
- HR will provide the Dean of Student Services office a list to be emailed to faculty for student absences and entry back into classes.
Again, the College is excited for the start of a new semester. While things look different from past semesters, the focus continues to be student success. Please remember to keep checking VolMail, and the website for semester updates. Also, check the COVID webpage https://www.jalc.edu/covid19/ for up to date information. Have a great semester!!
Dr. Melanie Pecord
Vice President for Instructional Services
January 7, 2020
John A. Logan College Student COVID-19 Protocol UpdateIndoor Health Screening Locations
Spring Semester classes begin Monday, January 11. All vehicle entrance points to campus will be open to traffic. Self-screening will be located at the entrances of all buildings with staff on hand to assist from 7:30 AM to 6 PM at the entrances to buildings J (Logan Fitness), H (Construction Management and Workforce Development), B (Main Entrance), E (Coffee Shop), G (Nursing and electronics), and D (Cosmetology). Screening devices will measure temperatures and detect the presence of a face mask. PPE’s will be available at screening locations.
- If you have COVID-19 or have been exposed to COVID-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to provide your information. The Human Resource Office will provide you with the proper documentation.
- Email your instructor and academic advisor to inform them of your status to ensure that you do not fall behind in your coursework.
- Continue to follow all protocols regarding social distancing and face coverings. Limit visits to campus and utilize email, telephone, and video conferencing when possible.
- Visit www.jalc.edu/covid19 for the most up-to-date information. The College will continue to post updates to official social media pages, JALCTEXT and Volmail.
- IDPH – Illinois Department of Public Health
- WHO – World Health Organization – Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- ICCB – Illinois Community College Board – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Resources
- State of Illinois – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response