In accordance with the Governor’s EXECUTIVE ORDER 2021-10 (COVID-19 EXECUTIVE ORDER NO.79) the College will no longer be mandating that students, staff, or faculty, who are fully vaccinated, will be required to wear face coverings or practice social distancing on campus or at any function sanctioned by the College. (The order can be found at the following web address: https://www2.illinois.gov/Pages/Executive-Orders/ExecutiveOrder2021-10.aspx
While the mandates for those who are fully vaccinated are lifted (masks and occupancy levels), those who feel more comfortable may continue to wear face coverings and practice social distancing.
Due to COVID19 restrictions, John A. Logan College facilities will not be available for usage by outside groups and organizations until further notice. This includes all facilities on the main campus, the West Frankfort Extension Center, and the Alongi Extension Center in Du Quoin. Please monitor the College website for updates.
May 14, 2021
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday issued new guidance to allow for vaccinated individuals to remove their masks in most indoor settings.
While this is welcome news for many, please know that we are still awaiting additional guidance from IDPH before reevaluating our campus mask policy. Therefore, for the time being, our plan at JALC is to maintain the current mask requirements indoors until we can receive and interpret this new guidance.
As we understand it currently, additional guidance for vaccinated individuals will become available in the coming days. At that time, likely early next week, we will issue new guidance for JALC regarding wearing masks indoors. We will also update campus signage to reflect any policy change and post updates to the COVID19 page.
If you have not yet become vaccinated and wish to, please visit the Bi-County Health Department website at https://covidvaccination.dph.illinois.gov
Thank you for your patience while we work through this new guidance. Have a great weekend.
Kirk Overstreet, PhD.
President, John A. Logan College
January 12, 2021
Welcome to the spring 2021 semester! We are so excited to begin a new semester with lots of hope and light at the end of the tunnel in an unprecedented year. Students must continually monitor JALCText, VolMail, the student portal, and the college website for the most up-to-date information to stay informed. The College will adhere to the guidelines and safety precautions set forth by ICCB, CDC, IDPH, and WHO.
Faculty and staff want you to be successful and safe in your time here at the College. We have implemented some new processes I wanted to share with you.
All students, staff, and visitors will be required to go through a daily wellness screening process to enter campus buildings. Check the screening locations and map located on the COVID webpage https://www.jalc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/campus_map_health_screening_locations.pdf. Notice some screening locations will remain unstaffed, so please pass through a staffed screening location if you need assistance.
At the staffed screening locations, here is what you can expect:
- A waiting line for screening is possible during high traffic times.
- Self-Screening typically takes about 2 – 3 seconds. Please follow the social distance stickers and traffic flow arrows. You will want to allow some extra time for screening to get to your classes on time.
- Screeners will be wearing an orange vest and radios. The staffed station hours are (Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
- Campus Police will maintain a presence at the staffed locations.
- We will have PPE at the screening locations if needed.
- Please look for the posted signs for additional instructions or directions.
- We will have hand thermometers available for re-checks.
- Failed screening logs will be at each location with referral sheets.
- Everyone’s patience will make this a smoother process that works.
- No stickers will be issued.
- Note: the front door (Bell Tower entry) will remain closed, but entry into B – wing can be obtained by using the access doors between the main building and the administrative building. Use the sidewalk to the right of the Bell Tower. Signs will be posted.
Reporting COVID related absences
- Students should notify Kathleen Doty (618-318-2797; email@example.com) or Human Resources (618-985-3741, Ext. 8273) if they cannot attend class due to COVID symptoms, positive diagnosis, or are under quarantine.
- Students should notify their instructors and or advisor.
- HR will provide the Dean of Student Services office a list to be emailed to faculty for student absences and entry back into classes.
Again, the College is excited for the start of a new semester. While things look different from past semesters, the focus continues to be student success. Please remember to keep checking VolMail, and the website for semester updates. Also, check the COVID webpage https://www.jalc.edu/covid19/ for up to date information. Have a great semester!!
Dr. Melanie Pecord
Vice President for Instructional Services
January 7, 2020
John A. Logan College Student COVID-19 Protocol UpdateIndoor Health Screening Locations
Spring Semester classes begin Monday, January 11. All vehicle entrance points to campus will be open to traffic. Self-screening will be located at the entrances of all buildings with staff on hand to assist from 7:30 AM to 6 PM at the entrances to buildings J (Logan Fitness), H (Construction Management and Workforce Development), B (Main Entrance), E (Coffee Shop), G (Nursing and electronics), and D (Cosmetology). Screening devices will measure temperatures and detect the presence of a face mask. PPE’s will be available at screening locations.
- If you have COVID-19 or have been exposed to COVID-19, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to provide your information. The Human Resource Office will provide you with the proper documentation.
- Email your instructor and academic advisor to inform them of your status to ensure that you do not fall behind in your coursework.
- Continue to follow all protocols regarding social distancing and face coverings. Limit visits to campus and utilize email, telephone, and video conferencing when possible.
- Visit www.jalc.edu/covid19 for the most up-to-date information. The College will continue to post updates to official social media pages, JALCTEXT and Volmail.
- IDPH – Illinois Department of Public Health
- WHO – World Health Organization – Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports
- CDC – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- ICCB – Illinois Community College Board – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Resources
- State of Illinois – Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response