Comments/Concerns or Grievances

If you have any comments or concerns about the College please contact the appropriate office. As a College we are here to serve our students.
Click here for a listing of JALC Telephone Numbers.

Student Grievance Procedure

If you have a grievance, please refer to the procedures outlined in the Rights and Responsibilities manual – Appendix G.

If you have a complaint that cannot be resolved by the College you have the option to contact the Illinois Community College Board.
Click here for more information about contacting the Ilinois Community College Board.

Distance Learning Students:

If you are an online student and feel that your complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved through the Student Grievance Procedure you may contact the Illinois Community College Board when seeking a resolution.

If you are a student living out of the State of Illinois you may also file your complaint with the state in which you reside: Student Complaint Information by State

Student Resources

NC-SARA has developed a variety of resources specifically designed for students. Click the links below to learn more :