JALC News

View All News Articles

John A. Logan College Highway Construction Program to Hold Graduation at the Playground They Helped to Construct

Published on November 9, 2022

On Thursday, November 10, the John A. Logan Highway Construction Program will hold a graduation for 11 students that have completed the 12-week program. The graduation will occur at the Spillertown Community Center, 102 Community Dr. in Marion.

The class supplied labor, materials, and equipment to assist with building a new playground at the Community Center. The graduation ceremony will begin at Noon. IDOT representatives and other guest speakers are scheduled to speak. 

The Highway Construction Careers Training Program is a collaboration with community colleges, the Federal Highway Administration, and the Illinois Department of Transportation to increase access to highway construction jobs for minorities, women, and disadvantaged individuals. The HCCTP emphasizes life-long learning and provides opportunities for further education and assistance to improve employability in Illinois’ highway construction industry. The program is administered by the Illinois Community College Board and implemented through ten Community Colleges throughout the state.

Each Community College holds a minimum of two training sessions per year in which individuals receive intensive training in highway construction-related skills, such as mathematics for the trades, job site readiness, carpentry, concrete flatwork, blueprint reading orientation, introduction to tools, forklift operation and OSHA 10-hour certification.

Additionally, each Community College provides its graduates with assistance in obtaining placement in Illinois’ highway construction trade unions, apprenticeship programs, and/or with IDOT highway construction contractors.

Cynthia Jolly credits the program with helping her start a new chapter in her life.

“I committed to a new chapter in my life with the HCCTP Program these past 12 weeks. I learned new challenges daily with all my instructors,” said Jolly. “The path to success is one step at a time; HCCTP has given me clarity on whom I want to become and has helped me use my hands in skills that I had never used or even knew existed in me.”

Jolly had perfect attendance and overcame physical limitations to complete the 12-week program.

“I had a dream to complete this program. Although no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending. You only fail when you stop trying. What are bitter trials are often blessings in disguise,” added Jolly.

For more program information and how to apply, contact Tim Simmons, HCCTP Coordinator, at (618) 985-2828 (ext. 8643) or toll-free at 1-800-851-4720. Inquiries can also be forwarded to timsimmons@jalc.edu.

Students working on concrete