JALC News

View All News Articles

JALC to Host Career Spotlight on Your Future Night October 24

Published on October 2, 2023

John A. Logan College is hosting a special Spotlight on Your Future Night on October 24, from 5 to 8 p.m. in the College’s Conference Center. The event is open to the public and is specifically designed for adult learners and paraprofessionals interested in discovering opportunities and options to start a new career path or finish a certificate or degree.

College President Dr. Kirk Overstreet wanted to host the event to showcase all the career options and opportunities at John A. Logan College to southern Illinois adults.

“We have a lot of great programs from healthcare to cyber security, as well as technical programs that are in high demand right here in southern Illinois,” said Overstreet. “I wanted us to host a night to showcase these programs and let people know that short-term options can help them start a new career or advance in their current career.”

Overstreet knows firsthand what it is like to be a non-traditional student changing career paths.

“I was a union electrician in the Chicago area. It was a great career that I enjoyed, but I always wanted to complete my bachelor’s degree,” said Overstreet. “I returned to community college and then finished my degree. With the encouragement of a college professor, I went on to complete my master’s degree and earn my doctorate, which has led to a career in administration and now as the President of John A. Logan College.”

All programs and services will be on display at the Spotlight Event. Participants can meet with advisors, tutors, and career specialists. There will be assistance with financial aid applications, and the John A. Logan College Foundation will have a scholarship raffle.   

“We hope that people will come out and not only see the opportunities but also see that with our flexible scheduling and affordability, they can start or return to school and still maintain their family life and current job,” said Overstreet.

For more information, visit jalc.edu or call the Office of Academic Affairs at 985-2828, ext. 8007.

JALC SPOTLIGHT Flyer (PDF)

JALC SPOTLIGHT