JALC News

View All News Articles

Tim Miles Named JALC Distinguished Alumnus

Published on May 11, 2023

If you recently heard a catchy ad on the radio, there is a good chance that it came from the creative mind of Tim Miles. A best-selling author, sought-after speaker, and marketing executive, Tim Miles will return to John A. Logan College as the 2023 Distinguished Alumnus, where he will address graduates and other guests at the College’s May 11 Commencement.

Miles’s road to success took several turns, including returning to college and venturing on his own after a successful career in local radio. His college career began as a fearful freshman farm boy at the University of Illinois, where he took his first communications course and got a D. He got better.

He spent over ten years on local radio as an on-air personality and creative director, winning over 80 awards for his marketing, strategic communications, and creative work. Despite his success, he began to recalibrate what it meant to be a truly successful communicator after the birth of his first child. Today, Tim Miles is widely considered one of the planet’s most engaging, entertaining, and enlightening presenters. His talks have taken him halfway around the world, but he now calls a little town outside Nashville his home, where he owns and operates a consulting firm where he works with clients who trust his wisdom, kindness, and passionate commitment to their growth.

According to Miles John A. Logan College was a major part of the journey that led him to where he is today.

“As a non-traditional student returning to school in my late 20s after a change in the job market, I learned and benefitted from both the ‘community’ and ‘college’ aspects,” said Miles. “Through its emphasis on community, John A Logan College connected me with students 15 years younger and 50 years older. We were from different cities, counties, and countries and learned more than our lessons—we learned perspective. We learned from each other as well as from the staff and faculty, many of whom I am proud to call close friends still today.”

“Through JALC’s emphasis on ‘College,’ I learned you’re never too old to stop learning, to set high goals, or to believe in yourself. Yes, these tools have helped me go on to build two different million-dollar companies and become a bestselling author, but more than that, they helped me become a better friend and father,” added Miles.

As Tim Miles travels the world helping businesses grow, he carries with him the impact that John A. Logan College has had on his life and my career.

“The impact that John A. Logan College has had on me is immeasurable,” said Miles. “I use present tense intentionally because—even though I now live 182 miles away in Nashville—it continues to provide an extraordinary return to this day.”

John A. Logan College will hold Graduation ceremonies at 5 PM and 7:30 PM on Thursday, May 11, in the Donald L. Brewer Gymnasium and Convocation Center.

Tim Miles