In partnership with Salzburg College and the Illinois Consortium for International Studies and Programs (ICISP), JALC students can spend a semester abroad in the cultural city of Salzburg, Austria. The city is situated in the northern foothills of Alps and is famous as the birthplace of Mozart.
Schloss Leopoldskron in Salzburg, Austria, where scenes representing the lakeside patio of the Von Trapp Villa were shot for the film The Sound of Music
Salzburg College is a private Austrian college situated in a 16th century townhouse in central Old City. Classes at Salzburg College are taught in English by local European professors. At Salzburg College, students can study:
- German Language
- European Studies
- Music, Art
- Outdoor Pursuits (hiking, biking, rafting & skiing)
The program integrates traditional classroom instruction with practical field experiences to enhance the student’s study abroad experience. Field experiences include excursions, guest lectures, immersion activities and interaction with local professionals. Field experiences for the semester program include:
- A week of travel in Germany
- Five days in Vienna
- Other visits to historic and artistic sites in Germany and Austria.
Cultural events in Salzburg include concerts, plays, and exhibitions.
All students participating in a semester program are required to take German language. This program does require a departure orientation which is held at Heartland Community College in Bloomington, IL.
- Fall semester: September - December
- Spring semester: January - May
Program Application Deadline
- Fall semester: May 1
- Spring semester: October 1
This program is open to serious students who have a strong interest in immersing themselves in Austrian culture and history. Students need no previous study of German to apply to the program. All students are required to register for credit and participate in all classroom and program activities.
Applicants must meet the following minimum admission requirements:
- 2.75 or higher GPA, based on 12 or more credits of college study
- Two faculty recommendations
- English Composition completed with a grade of B or better
- Physician's approval to travel
Students earn 15-18 semester hours in college credit in the semester program. Classes taken at Salzburg College are reflected on a student's JALC transcript. Students are required to take the following courses:
- Understanding Austria - 3 credit hours
- A German course at the appropriate level - 4 credit hours
Students may then choose two or three additional courses, primarily from the humanities and social sciences.
Lodging and Meals
The cornerstone of the Austrian study abroad experience is living with local Austrian families and experiencing traditional Austrian life. Assignments to families will be based on personal interviews held during the week of coach travel in Germany that begins the program. Meals will be provided by the host family except for lunch, which can be purchased at the college.
A current passport and visa are required for students in the semester program. Upon acceptance into the program, students will be provided with directions on how apply for a visa.
Pre-departure orientation is typically held on a Saturday in Normal, IL at Heartland Community College. Attendance is required.
The program fee is $12,930 per semester, subject to change. Fees cover:
- Tuition and related administrative cost at Salzburg College
- Housing and meals in Salzburg, except during field trips and college break
- Major field trips (two for the semester program)
- Required cultural activities
- HealthSelect Overseas Platinum insurance through HTH Woldrwide
Fees do not cover:
- Some meals during German and Vienna field trip
- Personal expenses
- Daily commuting expenses
- Personal laundry fee
- International Student ID card
- Fees associated with certain courses