Fall 2020 Welcome Message
As we look forward to the start of the fall 2020 semester, I would like to take this opportunity to answer some questions about what students can expect. Additionally, a detailed plan for the semester will be posted on the College’s website next week. As most of you know, the situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic continues to change rapidly. In order to stay informed, students must continually monitor VolText, VolMail, student portal, and the college website for the most up-to-date information. The College Return to Campus Plan will adhere to the guidelines and safety precautions set forth by ICCB, CDC, IDPH, and WHO.
- Instruction begins on Wednesday, August 12, 2020.
- Students should check MyJALC to determine class format, time, date, and location for each scheduled course. Locations for on campus meetings may be updated between now and the start of the semester.
- Second block classes begin October 6, 2020.
- Fall Semester Holidays
- Labor Day - Monday, September 7
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 3 (new scheduled holiday)
- Veteran's Day – Wednesday, November 11
- Thanksgiving Break November 23 – 28
- All courses will move to online instruction beginning Monday, November 30, through the end of the semester.
- Final Exams are scheduled for the week of December 8 – 11 (online format)
Fall 2020 Course Formats:
- Online Anytime
- Online Scheduled
- Face to Face
Visit https://www.jalc.edu/fall-2020-course-formats for specific details on course formats and what that means for students.
- Masks will be required at all times while on the JALC campus.
- Cleaning protocols have been established based on Illinois Restore plan, IDPH, and CDC.
- Face-to-face classes are scheduled in classrooms that allow adequate space for social distancing in order to meet established guidelines.
- Wellness and temperature checks will be conducted daily at four designated entrance locations on campus.
- West Entrance (Bell Tower)
- East Entrance (Coffee Shop)
- G-Wing Entrance
- H-Building Entrance
Students must enter through one of these designated entrances. All other entries to the college will be restricted.
- Online Anytime, Online Scheduled and Hybrid tuition will be discounted 10% for the fall 2020 semester.
- The College has waived the activity fee for the fall 2020 semester. This will be credited to your account after September 1, 2020.
- Returning students who were enrolled in the spring 2020 semester, and are eligible under the established guidelines, will receive additional CARES money. Details concerning the distribution of funds will be forthcoming.
Again, the College is excited for the start of the start of a new semester. While things may look different from past semesters, the focus continues to be student success. Please remember to keep checking VolMail and the website for fall semester updates.
Dr. Melanie Pecord
Vice President for Instructional Services