Thursday, May 13, 2021
DuQuoin State Fairgrounds Grandstand
- Processional led by marshals. (Remain standing until invocation is completed.)
- Dr. Pecord will ask the audience to rise and introduce the minister who will give the invocation.
- Invocation – board members, faculty, and graduates should remain standing at the end of the processional until the minister delivers the invocation. (Men should remove hats.)
- The minister will return to his seat on the stage area and everyone should remain standing for the singing of The Star Spangled Banner. Everyone should be seated afterThe Star Spangled Banner.
- Following the musical selection, Dr. Pecord will introduce the president, Dr. Kirk Overstreet.
- Dr. Overstreet will welcome all guests and board members.
- Dr. Overstreet will introduce the student speaker who will then deliver their address.
- At the completion of the student speaker address, Dr. Overstreet will present the Distinguished Alumnus Award and RECOGNIZE the Outstanding Full-Time Faculty Award and the Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Award (Illinois Community College Trustees Association Awards)
- Dr. Overstreet will introduce Executive Director for the John A. Logan College Foundation Staci Shafer.
- Dr. Pecord will officially certify the John A. Logan College graduates.
- Following her certification, Dr. Pecord will say: “Will the graduates please rise.” All graduates should stand in unison and face the podium. Dr. Pecord will walk from the stage area and stand by the podium until Dr. Overstreet confers the degrees.
- Dr. Kirk Overstreet will confer the degrees on all John A. Logan College graduates.
- The graduates will remain standing until Dr. Overstreet says, “We will now present the diplomas.“ Dr. Overstreet and Board of Trustees chairman will go to the diploma table. Dr. Pecord will call the name of the graduate(s) seated on stage. She will then call the names of the graduates who are seated on the front row. As the first row moves toward the podium, the other rows will be seated. When there are only two persons left in a row to receive diplomas, the next row will stand and move to the podium. Graduates should stand at the tape mark on the floor, hand name cards to Dr. Pecord, and wait until their names are called.
- Graduates will pick up diploma from diploma table and walk towards Dr. Overstreet and Trustee. Due to COVID restrictions, elbow bumps will take the place of handshakes. After receiving your diploma, return to your seat. PLEASE REMAIN SEATED UNTIL EVERYONE HAS RECEIVED THEIR DIPLOMA.
- Dr. Overstreet will congratulate graduates and instruct them to move their tassels to left side of cap. He will then ask everyone to rise for the benediction. Board members, faculty, and graduates will remain standing for the recessional. The marshals will lead the board members, faculty, and graduates — in that order — back to their places of origin.
NOTE: THE CAP AND GOWN ARE YOURS TO KEEP – PLEASE TAKE THEM WITH YOU.