Introduction to Online Using Desire2Learn
Students may take a free orientation to online instruction for one (.5) hour of college credit. If you are taking an online, hybrid, or Desire2Learn supplement class, or even if you are just considering it, the orientation will help ensure that you understand the basics of taking an online course at John A. Logan College. You may take this orientation class for credit even if you have taken the Desire2Learn orientation previously. Among the things you should know about this orientation are:
- The class and college credit are FREE. Upon successful completion of the orientation you will receive .5 hour of college credit, at no cost.
- The orientation is completely online and can be completed from anywhere that has an Internet connection.
- Most students should be able to complete the orientation in about three hours.
- You will learn about Desire2Learn one of the College’s learning management system for online courses. You will also learn how accounts are created, how students are enrolled in a course site, how to log in to your class or classes, the requirements for email accounts, and the procedures for assignments and communicating with your instructor and fellow students.
- You will learn what to do and who to contact if you have a technical problem while taking an online class.
- To complete the orientation, you will have to complete several “assignments” and pass a short test on the content covered in the course. You may review the orientation and take the quiz as many times as necessary to pass. If you fail the test the first time, just review the material and take the test again. While credit is given upon successful completion of the orientation, no failing grades are given.
- You will need to self register for this course. Click here for information on self registration (PDF).