In partnership with the International College of Seville (ICS) and the Illinois Consortium for International Education and Programs, JALC students can spend a semester abroad in Seville, Spain. At the heart of the beautiful and rugged region of Andalucia, the city of Seville has a rich and diverse history.
The Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Sea, better known as Seville Cathedral.
The International College of Seville (ICS) is a private, independent center of education that promotes international education and cultural understanding. The school is located in the neighborhood of El Provenir near the Maria Luisa Park. The college contains a reference library, TV room, internet facilities, quiet study areas and spacious classrooms. The program offers students the chance for comprehensive cultural immersion in the life of the Spanish community, complete with a local home stay with a Spanish family, cultural excursions and field trips.
This is a faculty-led program. Students will study intensive Spanish language and culture, along with electives in the fields of humanities and social sciences. Students interested in studying abroad in Seville are encouraged to apply early to allow extra time for visa processing. This program requires a pre-departure orientation which is held at Heartland Community College in Bloomington, IL.
- Fall semester: September - December
- Spring semester: January - May
- Fall semester: May 1
- Spring semester: October 1
This program is open to serious students who have a strong interest in immersing themselves in Spanish culture and history. Students need no previous study of Spanish to apply to the program. However, students with advanced Spanish language abilities may be able to enroll in courses at the University of Seville. Each student is required to register for credit and participate in all classroom and program activities.
All students must meet the following minimum admission requirements:
- 2.75 or higher GPA, based on 12 or more credits of college study
- Two faculty recommendations
- English Composition completed with a grade of B or better
- Physician's approval to travel
Students will attend classes at the International College of Seville and may earn 13-18 college credits per semester. Successful completion of required courses will be recorded as credit on your JALC transcript.
- Spanish languages courses based on placement test (8 semester hours)
- Spanish culture course: "Three Cultures: Jews, Muslims, & Christians in Spain" (3 semester hours)
- Service learning course (1 semester hour)
In addition, participants will take one or two elective courses from an approved course listing.
Lodging and Meals
The cornerstone of the Spanish study abroad experience is living with local Spanish families and experiencing traditional Spanish life. Host families provide three meals per day and access to laundry facilities. There are generally one or two students per host family.
Students who do not wish to live with a host family may live in a privately owned student residence. The residencies are double share with three meals per day and access to laundry facilities.
A current passport and visa are required for students in the semester program. Visa applicants must first obtain a passport prior to applying for their visa. The visa application must be processed through the Spanish Consulate in whose jurisdiction (state) the applicant lives. Some Spanish Consulates now require up to four weeks to process visa applications.
Pre-departure orientation is typically held on a Saturday in Normal, IL at Heartland Community College. Attendance is required.
The program fee is $10,080 a semester, subject to change.
- Instructional costs
- Airport reception for designated flights
- Housing with laundry and full meal plan
- Health insurance - private clinics, medical specialists, house calls, 24-hr. support service
- Free cell phone for duration of semester
- Cultural visits & field trip excursions
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Tutorial assistance
- On-site library & study areas
- "Intercambio" program with Spanish students
- ICISP fees
- $100 refundable housing deposit
The fee does not cover:
- Personal expenses