A “resident for tuition purposes” is a person who has established and maintained legal residence in Illinois for at least 30 days or a dependent person, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service, whose parent or legal guardian has established and maintained legal residence in Illinois for at least 30 days. Other persons not meeting the 30 day legal residence requirement may be classified as Illinois residents for tuition purposes if they fall within one of the limited special categories authorized by the Illinois Legislature. Students may also waive the 30 day requirement by being classified as a resident if they prove they have a verifiable interest in establishing permanent residency in the John A. Logan College district. All other persons are ineligible for classification as an Illinois resident for tuition purposes.
To qualify as an Illinois resident for tuition purposes you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien entitled to residency for tuition purposes by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Living in or attending school in Illinois will not, in itself, establish legal residence. Students who depend on out-of-state parents for support are presumed to be legal residents of the same state as their parents. Residence in Illinois must be for the purpose of establishing a permanent home and not merely incident of enrollment at an institution of higher education. Documents supporting the establishment of legal resident must be dated or issued 30 days before the first day of classes for which a Illinois Resident classification is sought.
The following categories shall be treated as Illinois residents for tuition purposes:
FORMS OF I.D. ACCEPTED IN ORDER TO CLAIM Illinois RESIDENCY: (A legal residence in Illinois is established when certain legal ties to the State are made. The College’s classifying authority is authorized to make discretionary judgments as to residency within the bounds of the law and will evaluate all information given, including the age and general circumstances of the applicant. No single document shall be conclusive.)
- A driver’s license with an in-district address (Showing 30 days from issue date)
- A state identification card with an in-district address (Showing 30 days from issue date)
- A voter’s registration card with an in-district address (Showing 30 days from issue date)
- A notarized letter from a parent or legal guardian documenting that the student lives at an in-district address, provided the student is under the age of 24. (Showing 30 days from issue date)
- Copy of a real estate tax bill show property is owned within the JALC College District. (Showing 30 days from issue date)
- Copy of a FOID card issued from the state of Illinois showing an in-district address.
Copies of a lease or bill will not be accepted as proof to claim in-district residency.
Cities, towns and communities within John A. Logan College District 530 include:
- Campbell Hill
- Crab Orchard
- Creal Springs
- De Soto
- Du Quoin
- Freeman Spur
- Johnston City
- Royalton* (must be verified by Tax Statement or Voters Registration Card showing District #530)
- West Frankfort
- Oraville* (must be verified by Tax Statement or Voters Registration Card showing District #530)
- Stonefort* (must be verified by Tax Statement or Voters Registration Card showing District #530)